Department of Biomedical Engineering
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) was established in the year 2012, under the School of Technology, NEHU, Shillong funded by MHRD, Government of India, with the specific purpose to promote studies in new emerging areas of medical sciences employing advancements in technology for the benefit of masses. The Department of the University intends to provide education to young minds for the achievement of better health care solutions with emphasis on learning new techniques, develop innovative ideas through learning, skill development, Research and Development (R&D) and Industry-Institution interaction in the field.
The Department is one of the few institutes in the North Eastern region offering UG and PG programs in Biomedical Engineering. The Department aims to focus on strengthening R&D activities for development of products and services which can be transferred to the society for the benefit of mankind. The students are being prepared to face the emerging challenges in the field of Biomedical Engineering by faculty members having rich expertise, diversity and experience in this field.
The core part of the curriculum embodies scientific and engineering knowledge basic to the profession. In addition to the core courses the programme also incorporates current and emerging technologies relevant to the field of Biomedical Engineering. To tackle unknown medical problems with engineering technology, the curriculum has been designed by balancing various core, specialized and elective courses by offering several practical papers and challenging projects. The curriculum is also enriched with management papers to give an exposure to student in the field of corporate management. The Department is having faculty with rich research and teaching experience drawn from different parts of the country. The department is having mutual collaborations with several institutes in the vicinity and across pan India.
Over the years, the Department has been able to develop one of the best infrastructure facilities for its various teaching and research programmes. The department is having spacious lecture halls, tutorial rooms and specialized laboratories to provide requisite environment for overall growth and development of students. The lecture halls are equipped with audio visual, e-learning and internet facilities to impart quality teaching to the students. The Department is well connected with high speed internet facilities through the University’s centralized VSAT network.
Major Equipment and Facilities available in the Department
Department having specialized laboratories with quality research facilities in which student perform experiments of different subjects such as Biomedical instrumentation, Medical Signal and Image Processing, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Biochemistry, Biomechanics and Rehabilitation, Physiological system modeling & Simulations, Biomaterials and Nano medicine etc.
Equipments/ facilities available in the department are:
- Measuring, Recording and Monitoring Instruments: Physiological recording system comprising of ECG, EEG, EMG, PCG, GSR, pulse oxymeters, pulse rate, blood pressure, body temperature, respiration measurements, stress test with spirometry, wireless 8 channel EMG recorder
- Analytical Equipment: UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, pH meters, ultra cooling centrifuge (-20 0C), probe sonicator, high resolution microscopes, digital weighing balance, Quartz double distillation unit, magnetic stirrer and Oven
- Data acquisition system and amplifiers modules for the bio-signal recording
- Demonstration modules for cardiac pacemakers and defibrillators
- Microprocessor and microcontroller modules
- Work bench for Hardware designing
- Centralized computer laboratory facilities with internet facility
- Universal Testing Machine loading up to 200KN
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (r-TMS)
- Neurofeedback with EEG
- Motion Analysis software for body modeling
Thrust Areas of Research
- Biomechanics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Biomedical devices and signal processing
- Bio-nanotechnology and drug delivery
- Medical Image analysis and processing
- Biomaterials and artificial organs
- Medical Informatics and Telemedicine
- Virtual Instrumentation